New York Daily News Pols trash city waste station plan by Jennifer Fermino

New York Daily News
Pols trash city waste station plan
Jennifer Fermino
05/21/2015

The city’s ambitious goal to stop sending waste to landfills by 2030 makes two controversial garbage transfer stations unnecessary, a group of pols charged Wednesday.

The seven elected officials—including Rep. Carolyn Maloney, City Councilmen Mark Treyger and state Sen. Liz Krueger — sent a letter to Mayor de Blasio to ask him to nix the pricey new garbage facilities, including one on the Upper East Side, and focus on composting and recycling.

De Blasio last month unveiled a new plan to stop sending waste to landfills by 2030 as part of his One New York initiative.

“Continuing to move forward with marine transfer stations to landfills undermines the mayor’s credibility and commitment to the One New York plan,” said Councilman Ben Kallos, who also signed the letter.

Amy Spitalnick, a spokeswoman for the mayor, said the transfer stations are desperately needed.